Built on site here at Butterfly, the youth club was opened in June 2010. As an out of school club, boys and girls of all ages meet here on a daily basis which provides a safe, fun and educational environment. It has become a lively part of Butterfly Space and many activities are organised daily. Each day we offer different activities including arts and crafts by making instruments, sock puppets, masks and so on. We also have more active sessions including races, obstacle courses, treasure hunts and sports. We feel it is also a great way to take the pressure off the parents who work until after school hours, and therefore the youth club will benefit the children by maximising their skills to becoming a young adult.
If you have a back ground in youth work then we would appreciate if you can work with the kids daily doing a mixture of things and programs. Alternatively if you are an expert in a certain area we would be grateful if you can work with the kids for a session or a week to pass on your ideas and skills.
The clubs always need fresh ideas and new energy so if you would like to come along and organise some activities or come and help out at all you would be very welcome. Otherwise resources are always lacking in Malawi, we have collected quite a good stock of materials but more games and equipment are always welcomed if you can spare any on your travels or send from back home.
VOLUNTEERS CAN CONTRIBUTE IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
- DRAMA GROUP – This can either work through the Youth Club or through different local groups as we had a recent link with Vizara Drama Group, a travel educational group which educates pressing issues of Malawi. With Alice’s filming skills, the film proved to be a success as previous viewings received a warm welcome when shown at Butterfly. There is also a small stage up by the Youth Centre which is perfect for performances.
- ENGLISH TEACHERS – We always welcome teachers as there are no shortages of kids who want to improve their language and reading skills.
- HOMEWORK CLUB – This is a great way to utilise the space after dark and many of the topics covered in school here are linked the English curriculum so there is great potential for volunteers to hold extra homework clubs, especially close to exam time. The Media Room can also be used for this as we have a great projector to work from.
- PEN PAL – This is a great way to stay in touch with Nkhata Bay once you have left here, and will provide a great insight to both people involved as to the daily challenges each other faces.
- ESCORTS FOR TRIPS – We would love to be able to show more of the groups that come through Butterfly some of the beautiful and amazing things that are around in Malawi. Previous trips have been to the Malawisaurus Museum but we would love to take a group to Vwaza National Park in the future.
If you are interested in volunteering, please see our Volunteer Package page. If you would like to contribute to this project but you are unable to make it over to Malawi, please see our Make A Donation page.