Set up by Alice, this is a new project for physically disabled adults, who differ in ability from deafness to paralysis. The group consists of around forty adults who are all eager to make a difference to their lives. The centre is based just outside of Nkhata Bay in the town of Mpamba and can be reached by mini bus for a small charge of around less than US$2 per journey.
The members of the group are certainly inspiring, including one with an incredible farm consisting of turkeys, pigs, guinea pigs and rabbits and a huge plantation of crops. Using a walking stick for numerous years, this gentleman has certainly made a way of life for his family. Another gentleman with severe disabilities is an extraordinary gardener who has sustained his life by building the most beautiful garden all full of crops which includes; rice, sweet potatoes, maize and a variety of vegetables that he has planted to sell to local markets.
The centre has recently been set up where members can also learn a trade in many areas including; tailoring, carpentry, teaching, cooking and computers. We are currently in the process of building a full functioning restaurant where people including tourists can stop by for a cup of tea or some delicious home-made cooking. Also up and coming will be computers services, an internet cafe, a shop for the members to sell their produce and also a small nursery for guests and members to take a load off and enjoy a day out at the centre. Seeing as the project is very new, we would love to have future volunteers to lend a hand with their ideas and skills for this remarkable new project.
As always, all profits go back into the group to help the centre grow well into the future.
VOLUNTEERS CAN CONTRIBUTE IN THE FOLLOWING WAYS:
- NURSERY TEACHERS – We value help in looking after the children at the nursery whilst the members of the centre are working or if the community have come over to the visit the centre for the day.
- IT – Help with IT matters and computer maintenance to benefit others will definitely help in the long run.
- TAILORING – We appreciate help in the tailoring side to pass on new ideas and designs for the group.
- CARPENTRY – There is always building maintenance that could do with a hand.
- BUSINESS IDEAS – Working with the group to improve their existing income generators and help them develop more.
- PROMOTION – Advertise the services they have so that they are more widely used.
- ASSISTING – Help with vocational training.
- RESEARCH – If you can research and present ideas to share with the group, including role play, lectures or handouts on certain information.
- COOKING – Anyone who can help with new recipes for the restaurant would be a great advantage.
- VISITING THE CENTRE – By just paying a visit and using the services offered there to support them will make a difference.
If you are interested in volunteering, please see our Volunteer Package page. If you would like to contribute to this project but you are unable to make it over to Malawi, please see our Make A Donation page.